- Deer Valley High
The College Board has announced that all in-person AP tests have been canceled for this year due to safety concerns related to the coronavirus (COVID-19).
In their place, the College Board will make AP tests available to be taken from home via a 45-minute online exam. There will be 2 different testing dates for each AP subject area test. Also, any student already registered for an exam can choose to cancel at no charge.
Please see the information below from the College Board regarding this opportunity:
- For the 2019–20 exam administration only, students can take a 45-minute online free-response exam at home. Educator-led development committees are currently selecting the exam questions that will be administered.
- AP curricula are locally developed and we defer to local decisions on how best to help students complete coursework. To be fair to all students, some of whom have lost more instructional time than others, the exam will only include topics and skills most AP teachers and students have already covered in class by early March.
- Colleges support this solution and are committed to ensuring that AP students receive the credit they have worked this year to earn. For decades, colleges have accepted a shortened AP Exam for college credit when groups of students have experienced emergencies.
- Students will be able to take these streamlined exams on any device they have access to—computer, tablet, or smartphone. Taking a photo of handwritten work will also be an option.
- We recognize that the digital divide could prevent some low-income and rural students from participating. Working with partners, we will invest so that these students have the tools and connectivity they need to review AP content online and take the exam. If your students need mobile tools or connectivity, you can reach out to us directly to let us know.
Ongoing updates, guidance and resources may be found on the College Board’s page for AP Updates for Schools Impacted by the Coronavirus.
Additionally, the College Board has created an site with free remote learning resources for AP students. This site included information regarding free live online AP review courses delivered by AP teachers that are scheduled to begin on March 25th.
This information is also posted on our website at www.azed.gov/advanced-placement. Additional agency information and guidance regarding COVID-19 for schools and families may be found on the ADE website here.
Please let Mr. Roskelley know if you have any questions or concerns. We are here to support you, as we’re able.